Urban infrastructure Development Scheme for Small & Medium Towns aims at improvement in urban infrastructure in towns and cities in a planned manner. It shall subsume the existing schemes of Integrated Development of Small and Medium Towns (IDSMT) and Accelerated Urban Water Supply Programme (AUWSP).
The objectives of the scheme are to:
- Improve infrastructural facilities and help create durable public assets and quality oriented services in cities & towns
- Enhance public-private-partnership in infrastructural development and
- promote planned integrated development of towns and cities.
DURATION OF THE SCHEME
The duration of the Scheme will be for seven years beginning from 2005-06. An evaluation of the outcomes of the Scheme will be undertaken before the commencement of the 11th Five Year Plan and, if necessary, the scheme would be suitably calibrated.
- The scheme will apply to all cities/towns as per 2001 census, excepting cities/towns covered under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM)
- Allocation of funds among states will be on the basis of the state’s urban population (excluding cities covered under JNNURM) to total urban population in the country (excluding cities covered under JNNURM).
- States may allocate funds to towns/cities based on similar formula. However, funds would be provided to only those towns and cities where elections to local bodies have been held and elected bodies are in position.
- The State Governments may prioritize towns and cities on the basis of their felt-need. While prioritizing towns, States would take into account existing infrastructure, population of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and special problems like hilly terrain.
|1||UIDSSMT Scheme For Small And Medium Towns||View|